Thread: how do i fix a blown piston ring

HTown-DSM.com Member I Own Stock In HTown-DSM.com DSMKAMIKAZE's Avatar

how do i fix a blown piston ring

whats a way to fix a blown piston ring..do i have to get a complete rebuild??

or get a complete block and slap on the head??

you replace them.

Run a compression test, then you will know what cylinders need some love. You can do all of this with the motor in the car still(it's hard, and not the best way to do it but it can be done)

Just replace all the pistons, rings, bearings...I'm sure OEM bottom end kits with just those things aren't too expensive. Pay attention to the cylinders make sure they aren't scored too bad...If so, you will need the motor pulled, if not you can just hone them.

Get all of the old HG off and replace, put back together..

Again, I know that isn't the best way to do it, and my description isn't too..descriptive, just an effort to give some hope.

-Josh

EL ES JUAN I Want To Have HTown-DSM.com's Babies
    Quote Originally Posted by DSMKAMIKAZE
    what the hell is your problem......im fucking sick of these..."why are u turning me down guys"....posts...if you want that car..go ahead and get it, and if it fucks up..ohh well...shit happens.
    Karma loves you.

if you want it done right, take the motor out, take it apart, machine the cylinders, reinstall with new rings/bearings, re-assemble, put motor back in, break in period, and thank karma for the wonderful lesson.

how much does that run about..like an estimate?

i have a friend at school thats a machinest, and knows how to rebuild engines..hes doing his 2nd year in cnc machining right now..hes 19 years old and makes about 30k a year 3 gear bu:

i have a friend at school thats a machinest, and knows how to rebuild engines..hes doing cnc right now..hes 19 years old and makes about 30k a year 3 gear bu:
    thanks for the worthless and irrellavant info

if you other people do the labor, it could cost you about 2K for just labor alone, depending on what you have done. while you have shit taken apart, get the hg replaced, head milled straight, and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DV8
    thanks for the worthless and irrellavant info

if you other people do the labor, it could cost you about 2K for just labor alone, depending on what you have done. while you have shit taken apart, get the hg replaced, head milled straight, and other stuff.
    i understood nothing you said.

should i get a new bare block??

i understood nothing you said.
    in that case, good luck.

should i get a new bare block??
    no

Don't be a dingle arm. I Want To Have HTown-DSM.com's Babies James92TSi's Avatar
    Rebuild the thing. Since you don't know how, you are either going to

a) do it yourself and do it wrong; or

b) pay out the nose to have someone else do it for you.

Nobody on the intarweb can tell you exactly what it will take to rebuild your motor, because it's not even torn down yet. Best case scenario you need new OEM rings, bearings, oil pump/front case, water pump, and a full engine gasket kit. Worst-case you have a scored cylinder and will have to get it overbored, which means the block has to come out for machining, and you have to buy new pistons to fit the overbore.

But this was a supposedly "built" motor right? It will definitely have to be torn down to assess what parts are in there, not to mention the damage that needs to be fixed.

'91 3000GT VR-4 Silly car, get down from there. You aren't a plane. You don't even have wings.
    '92 3000GT VR-4 Driveway lurker / future parts recipient.
    '03 G35 Sport Coupe Retains transmission and full warranty, even with VDC off!

HTown-DSM.com Member I Own Stock In HTown-DSM.com TurbosRFunny's Avatar
    I say you light the bish on fire, Put a loin cloth on, dance around that bish like a huge ogre, while yelling, "ME SMASH! ME SMASH!" -In a slow motion, deep voice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponch
    This isnt pinks where I need to give you any handicaps. Run what you brung in the 1/4.

HTown-DSM.com CEO Super Saiyan Post Whore Storm's Avatar

i have a friend at school thats a machinest, and knows how to rebuild engines..hes doing his 2nd year in cnc machining right now..hes 19 years old and makes about 30k a year 3 gear bu:
    so. . . ask your friend the machinist

Banned Super Saiyan Post Whore
    Noob + motor build + karma = blown motor